Friday, October 17, 2014

NY Comic Con, Chaotic Calm Before the Real Storm

This year I got to go to NYCC under an exhibitor badge. Friends of friends let me buy that under their booth (Imagination Asylum, thank you!) So with that in mind, I picked up my badge on Wed night after work instead of trying to deal with crowds on Thursday. (Course that backfired as I had issues with the badge Thursday that were sort of quickly resolved). In picking up the badge on Wed, I got to see the loadin from various groups. Most notably I got to see R2D2 and Chopper roll in! Love! R2 was merely being pushed in but Chopper was being remotely controlled which was just awesome! I giggled like I was 5 seeing Santa for the first time! Ha!

Sorry I didn't crop the pics but no time for that... hehe

I loved seeing the convention hall getting set up though. All the fork lifts, the carpets being rolled out still, booths setting up for the big four days of hell, I mean fun... All the big statues and such that I could take pics of without any crowds around me! Was fun! I am a behind-the-scenes type of person and will always love seeing how things are put together and made. So this was fun to just walk around the hall with everything still being set up. Not that I ever want to work a convention like this from behind the scenes but it's fun to watch it unfold!

R2D2 being rolled into the convention center

Chopper coming in!

Carpets still need to be unrolled for booths!

Smaug!!!! he's still sleeping...

The Block area. the calm before the storm.

Gollum at the Weta booth

Gandalf's hat for purchase from Weta

Giant troll!!! AAAAH RUN!!

The incredible Weta booth!

Me and my buddy!

The night before the con started, I got to go see my friend Ben Leach present at Union Hall in Brooklyn for "Sci-Fi Explosion". It was a neat show. Ben presented foreign movie posters compared to US released posters, focusing on Thailand and two other countries I cannot recall now. (Sorry!) It was a really interesting and odd phenomenom that happens with movie posters from its original intent to what other countries decide to use as images on their own posters for their countries. Just google some of them. You'll get a good laugh. Along with Ben's fun lecture, were videos of old 80's commercials and what Robocop is up to in places like Korea, hawking ramen noodles and kitchen appliances! Also shown, was a fun commercial of Leonard Nimoy selling something called a LaserDisc player. ooooOOOOOoh! those didn't take off at all! Haha (I like to think those were the next Betamax's of our generation to the VCR hehe) And then Skeletor sang to us! That was an experience one cannot replicate elsewhere. He also helped hand out trivia awards. To which most of us in the audience won multiple times (small audience...)

Ben Leach giving his presentation at Union Hall

Skeletor serenades us.
Sideways, but I won a couple things at the event. Avengers velvet coloring page,
V the novelization of the tv series, an ET figure, and an old Battlestar Gallactica
baseball card checklist.

No comments:

Post a Comment