Friday, March 30, 2018

Regeneration Who 4

This past weekend was the Regeneration Who 4 convention. It's one of the best cons out there. Run by the amazing Oni Hartstein and James Harknell. They have a wonderful crew who care about you, your experience, and making it the best out there.

I was vending for a second year for my Geek Girls' Castle shop. This year I bought a table instead of a booth. And while smaller, the table was much better for me. Sales were better, exposure was better, and location tons better. I love being at this con with "me people". Fans who are like minded, no judgements, no drama. Everyone is there for the love of Who and each other. We really are one big family at this convention.
While I can't get away from my table too often, I was able to get away for a few things. First off, Michelle Gomez was at the con. She plays Missy on Doctor Who, and well, my name being Missy, I do cosplay her at Who events and needed to meet her. She seemed so cool and fun and funny on her social media accounts. I got to fulfill that dream this weekend.

Here's how all my encounters with Michelle Gomez went.

Friday night, late-ish, she was signing autographs. My hubby went to get his autographs done for her that evening. As he got to the front, he called me over to leave my table to meet her too. I got over there, hubby introduced me and said, "Yes, her name really is Missy." She deadpanned, looked at hubby, and said, "Was that your only criteria??" We had a good laugh about that. But she was stunned by my actual name and asked in all seriousness, if it was short for something. I did answer, "Yes, it's short for Melissa..." 

My friend Amy was with us. She had on a handmade skirt. Michelle commented she loved it. She then saw mine as well. Hubby went into sales pitch mode saying that I make mine too and sell them, pointing towards my table. I unconsciously put my hands in my pockets to flare out the skirt so she could see the design, etc. Well, Michelle nearly jumped over the table, screamming, "It has pockets?!!?" I then went into sort of salesman mode too, saying "Yes! Large pockets that fit iphone 8+!" She looked at both assistants, one on each side, looking amazed and mouthing/not being able to talk about how she needs one! The one assistant said, "We have a photo op we need to get to..." Well, let me tell you, the look she shot her assistant was llike "B*tch, do NOT tell me we can't get one!" Hubby mentioned I was still open and I'd stay open if she needed... But the assistants needed to stick to their schedule of course. So they said they'd try to stop by another time. As they left the area, I did give her a cyberman luggage tag tho.

Saturday was a usual setup morning for my table. Got there early to reset the table and get it buyer ready. Within a couple hours of being open, I saw a blonde woman say hello at my table. I looked thru the shelves and said hello and such. Then I peer to the left of her, and see it's Michelle Gomez!!! OMG I'M FANGIRLING SO HARD! BUT KEEP IT COOL! hahaha


I walk around to the front of the table. I say hello and all that. She hugs me! *dying* Ha! She had picked up the pink toiletry bag with the DC comics superheroines on it. But she quickly said, "No, but where are the things with pockets?!!" heehee

So I show her the skirts I have left, which aren't many. (Thank you attendees for buying so many haha). I have a Marvel Avengers, Downton Abbey, Cyberman/Dalek combo, Star Wars, and Haunted Mansion left. First, she saw the Marvel and asked her assistant what that was. She answered. The Michelle immediately shoved it aside and said, "Oh, that's irrelevant." HAHAHAH 

I said the Downton Abbey one would be too cheeky. She agreed. hehe

I pulled the cyberman/dalek one off for her to see it but she didn't think it was really for her. Which I can understand that. The assistant said I should have had more Tardis ones. Which I did, but they all sold! *womp womp* Sorry, Michelle!!

So they didn't buy anything. But it was so nice she really did want something from me.
And my table neighbor had the foresight to take pictures for me... so she got some really great pics! Thanks Scully!!! (Go check out her shop too! Scully makes some amazing chainmail!)

Ok, so Sat afternoon tho, I was dressed as Missy all day because I was taking my photo with Michelle Gomez. My friend Amy and Jen saved me a seat/place in line while I was selling my wares and such. (Thanks guys!!) So thanks to them, I weas close to the front of the line for her photo session and could get back to my table quicker.

Michelle remembered me and hugged me before the photo was taken. She's so sweet!!!! A great photo was taken. I thanked her and moved along.



Later in the day, hubby and I had a photo op with both Michelle and Peter Capaldi, who played the 12th and most recent Doctor in the show.

We get up to the photo op and Michelle, knowing me by now, and probably sick of me, hugs me, and turns to Peter and kind of gets in his face and says, "Peter, this is Missy, no really, that's her name!" And Peter, mutters something like, "Oh really?" And iI'm like, yeah... But then I swear, in that same moment, it all happened at once, his sideeye, to Michelle, all whilst giving me a smile and nod and muttering, is giving Michelle the side eye of like, "Woman, I cannot take your crazy anymore..." hahahaha 

In that photo we had Michelle and Peter hold up their action figures because they were the same figures we had put on our wedding cake for wedding 1.0. We did tell them that and they were in shock a little. hehe (Crazy fan stories amiright? hehe)


I later got my photo with Missy signed. Thank you staff that allowed me to not be away from my table for long period of time... You guys are awesome. Michelle was a doll during the signing but I felt like I had so many amazing moments with her, I didn't want to say much more to her or take up her valuable time when other fans needed to have their moments instead...But I was so happy and honored to have met her so many times this weekend. She kept the humor and love all around her fans. It was amazing!

I'm still on a con high from the wonderful time I had.

As for business, it was pretty good this weekend. Much better than last year. I definitely want to come back again. Even tho it's a new venue as we've outgrown this hotel already! But I'll be excited to get in again. I just love the people, staff, fans, attendees, guests, panels, and jam sessions. It's all so fabulous. They work so hard to put this together and make it all work for the fans. It's what it's all about. And I love coming every year!

Thanks to everyone who stopped by my table and bought my wares or just took my card. You all are fantastic and made my weekend! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment